Wednesday 18 November 2009

Future simple


We can refer to future actions with the future simple, be going to, the present continuous, the present simple, the future perfect and the future perfect continuous and other expression to express a future idea. We are going to study the following this year:
Future simple
The future simple is used:

- in predictions about the future usually with the verbs think, believe, expect, etc., the expressions be sure, be afraid, etc., and the adverbs perhaps, certainly, probably, etc.
e.g I feel a bit hungry. I think I'll have something to eat
I don't think I'll go out tonight. I'm too tired
I'll probably be home late tonight
I haven't seen Carol today. I expect she'll phone this evening.
Don't worry about the exam. I'm sure you'll pass.
Click here to practise I think I will/I don't think + will

- for on the -spot decisions , that is , when you decide to do something at the time of speaking
e.g. Did you phone Mary? "Oh no, I forgot. I'll phone her now.
Oh, I've left the door open. I'll go and shut it.
- Offering to do something.
e.g. That bag looks heavy. I'll help you with it.
Click here to practise

- Agreeing to do something
e.g. Can you give Tim this book? Sure, I'll give it to him when I see him this afternoon.
- Promising to do something
e.g. Thanks for lending me the money. I'll pay you back on Friday.
- Asking somebody to do something.
e.g. Will you please turn the radio down? I'm trying to concentrate.

- for actions/events/situations which will definitely happen in the future and which we cannot control. e.g. My son will be eight years old next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment