Tuesday 12 January 2010

Useful language: Requests, invitations and suggestions.

Invitations and suggestions

Would you like + infinitive?
Do you fancy + ing?
How about + ing?
Shall we + verb?
Let's + verb
Why don't we + verb?

Accepting
That would be nice.
That would be great.
Good idea!
Great idea!
I'd love to!
Fine.
Yes, ok.
That's a good idea

Refusing

I'm (really) sorry, but I can't, I'm + ing....
I'm afraid I can't. I have to ...
I'd love to, but I....
I don't really like ....
I'm afraid I'm a bit busy.
How about.... instead?
I'd rather not
I'd rather + verb

Make short dialogues with invitations and suggestions.
Accept some and refuse others.
Example: A Do you fancy going out for dinner?
B Yes, that would be nice.
A Where shall we go?
Practise with the following.
  • going our for dinner
  • stay in this evening
  • go to a pub
  • go to see a film
  • go to a football match
  • go to the beach for the weekend.

In pair discuss what to do this weekend.

Now, click here to use some of the expressions you have learnt.

Making suggestions quizz

1 comment: